Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

Awareness

Today, September 30th, is National Microcephaly Awareness Day.

One year ago today, September 30th 2012, I was completely unaware that Microcephaly even existed.  I was unaware of the thousands of families that are affected by Microcephaly.  I was unaware of the many children living with Microcephaly and the challenges that they face every day.

One year ago today, September 30th 2012, I found out I was pregnant.

What a difference a year makes!

The past twelve months have been...challenging, amazing, emotional, dramatic, influential, challenging (did I already say that?), heartbreaking, wonderful...and memorable.  I don't believe we have ever had a 12-month period in which SO MUCH has changed.  We found out we were pregnant with our second kiddo, bought a house, celebrated Jack's 2nd birthday, sold a house, moved (when I was 7 1/2 months pregnant!), welcomed Dylan into our family...and after all that, experienced a VERY stressful four months!  I would never change a thing about my life and I am beyond thankful for everything I have been blessed with, but it has been challenging, to say the least!

So today, Microcephaly Awareness Day, really got me thinking about everything that has happened in the past 365 days, since those two little pink lines showed up on the pregnancy test that changed my life forever.

At the risk of sounding selfish and insensitive, I never wanted to be as "aware" of a disorder such as Microcephaly as I am today.  I never dreamed that I would have the need to learn this much about something as uncommon as Microcephaly.  I never imagined that one of those "it will never happen to me" scenarios would play out in my family like it has.

But in our present situation, we can only make the best of of our blessings and challenges.  And, as hard and emotional as it has been, we have no choice but to be very, dramatically, emotionally, and 100% AWARE of Microcephaly.  And, friends, if you are following along with our journey, you too have become aware of something that, most likely, you never knew existed before you met Dylan.

So, if nothing else, today you know that Microcephaly exists.  The word "Microcephaly" simply means "Small Head."  In many cases, the cause of the small head size is unexplained.  It can be genetic, due to an injury or virus during pregnancy, primary (present at birth), secondary, or associated with a more complex syndrome.  It typically is associated with developmental delays, but the severity of the delays is all over the board.  The cause for Dylan's Microcephaly is still unknown.

I am so new to this world, and while I would love to spend each and every September 30th from this day forward raising awareness for Microcephaly, I admit that this year I mostly just sat back and observed.  I dressed Dylan in yellow (the color symbolic to Microcephaly Awareness), posted his picture on the Foundation For Children with Microcephaly Facebook page, and went on with my day as if it were any other day.  But the truth is, my life has been changed by a diagnosis and today it is my responsibility to make my circle of influence more aware of what Microcephaly is.

So join my family in being aware of Microcephaly today, if nothing else.  One day down the road, maybe we will be more involved in research, fundraising, or awareness campaigns, but today please just be aware with us.  Remember Dylan and all of the other sweet angels with huge hearts and tiny heads in your prayers tonight.  And mark your calendar for Microcephaly Awareness Day next year, September 30th 2014...I can't wait to see what exciting and challenging changes the next 365 days brings to my life!

Dylan all dressed in Yellow for Microcephaly Awareness Day, 2013!

1 comment:

  1. Amy, thank you for the link to your wonderful blog. I'm very touched by the description of where you find yourself in life. You are, indeed, fortunate to have a beautiful family, and they are lucky to have you and all the love you have to give them. You have the opportunity to grow emotionally in a way others don't. I wasn't aware of Microcephaly until this morning, so I have some self-educating to do. Now I have two blogs to read, yours and Michelle's, that are written by excellent writers! I'm very happy to be back in touch with you. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete